BORN: April 3, 1850, in St. Clair County, Michigan
DIED: September 24, 1912, in Dow City, Crawford County, Iowa
AGED: 62 years, 5 months, 21 days
BURIED: Dow City Cemetery, Dow City, Crawford County, Iowa
MARRIAGE: to John Edwards on September 8, 1867, in St. Clair County, Michigan
CHILDREN: The obituary for John Edwards states that he had seven children, and that five of them had preceded him in death. One child was adopted.
1. Unknown Name born September 1868, probably in Michigan. Died before the 1870 census.
2. Wallace Edwards born April 27, 1871 in Sanilac County, Michigan.
3. Ida Mae Edwards born January 3, 1873, in Sanilac County, Michigan. Probably died in infancy or early childhood.
4. Samuel Edwards born August 27, 1874, in Sanilac County, Michigan. Probably died in infancy or early childhood.
5. John Edwards Jr. born June 2, 1877 in Paradise Twp., Crawford County, Iowa
6. Arnold Edwards Birth and death dates are unknown. One VA document lists Arnold chronologically in this position relative to the other brothers and sisters.
7. Olive Edwards born on April 29, 1886, in Lambton County, Ontario, Canada, and died on January 12, 1894, in Crawford County, Iowa.
8. Eldon Louis Edwards born February 13, 1895, in Iowa. Eldon was adopted by John and Sarah Edwards.
Since my great grandfather, John Edwards, was married twice, I have two great grandmothers with the last name of Edwards. The first one was Sarah Edwards. I'm not too sure of her maiden name, but I think it was Sarah Provoast. She was born on April 3, 1850, in St. Clair County, Michigan, although for some reason, the 1870 census gives her birth location as New York.
The next information that I have is of Sarah's marriage to John Edwards on September 8, 1867, in St. Clair County, Michigan. She shows up as John's wife for the first time in the U.S. Census for 1870. Her name is given as Sally Ann, and she's "keeping house" for John.
According to the obituary for John Edwards, Sarah gave birth to seven children during their marriage, and that only two boys survived at the time of his death. A third son, Eldon, was adopted. So, there were five children that either died in infancy or childhood.
I have no information about Sarah Provoast as a person. My dad was only one year old when she died, so he never had any memories of her at all. For that matter, I don't remember anyone else ever speaking about her either. That's a little strange because my aunt, Myrtle McCollough, would have been nineteen years old when Sarah died. I assume she would have had some memories about her, but I never heard Aunt Myrtle talk about Sarah.
Sarah Provoast Edwards died on September 24, 1912, in Dow City, Crawford County, Iowa, at the age of 62 years, 5 months, and 21 days. She's buried in the Dow City Cemetery. John put up a large monument in Sarah's honor. It's located just about in the middle of the cemetery.